15.1.09

2. Diamonds aren't forever...



Lately I've been listening to Bring Me The Horizon. A band hailing from Sheffield, UK, who tend to get a lot of flack for how quickly they've become popular. This month, BMTH took the number one slots for both 'Best Album' and 'Best British Band', in Rock Sound's 2008 Reader's Poll. Just the other day however, I spent a good hour listening in on a conversation my friends were having regarding how much they hate BMTH and vocalist Oli Sykes in particular. To be fair, they used to know the guys in the band before they got big, but at the same time I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that they were obviously just jealous of the success BMTH is receiving. I mean I don't know Oli Sykes personally, but he does come off to be a bit pretentious and the fame that the band has now garnered has clearly inflated his ego. Not to mention the millions of pounds he makes with his clothing line Drop Dead. At the same time however, I can't help but just give the guy props for being a businessman. I mean he's only like 22 and look what he has accomplished with his life already. Obviously, he and the rest of BMTH have got their shit sorted. Sykes is an incredible lyricist and performer, and the band have presumably worked hard to get where they have, despite how quick it seems to have happened for them. Clearly some luck was involved. I can't speak for the quality of their characters but I can say that their music is pretty rad. I think I'm going to see BMTH in Birmingham at the end of the month, so maybe my opinion will change by then, but currently, their songs are constantly at the top of my playlist. So if you like hardcore/metal/'screamy' music, give 'em a listen and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment